Lightning (Salesforce Lightning) is a component-based framework for app development that is designed to simplify processes for business users, who typically do not have programming experience. Lightning comprises the collection of tools and technologies behind a significant upgrade to the Salesforce1 Platform (now known as App Cloud), the company's mobile app development platform.
- Experience, a graphical user interface (GUI) that is optimized for speed.
- Lightning App Builder, which provides drag and drop capacities to facilitate app creation and customization.
- Lightning Component Framework, which includes tools and extensions that enable the development of reusable components and standalone apps and customization of the Salesforce1 Mobile App.
- AppExchange for Components, which makes over 50 partner components available in the App Builder. Design System, which offers style guides and user experience (UX) best practices for app development.
- Lightning Connect, an integration tool that makes it easier for Force.com apps to consume data from any external source that conforms to the OData specification.